TAGS

Keep your dog safe during the holidays

Let’s face it - Christmas can become chaos.

While it is a joyous time to spend enjoying good company with loved ones, the holidays can also present avoidable dangers for our furry best friends if we are not safe.

Think about all the gift buying and wrapping. Or all the decorating throughout the house. Christmas literally fills your house. Here are some tips in keeping your Christmas a safe, dog-friendly one:

O’ Christmas tree, O’ Christmas tree!

Christmas trees, regardless if they are real or artificial, need to be checked regularly. Nothing worse than a tree falling over or going up in smoke!

Make sure the tree stand is securely anchored If the tree is real, make sure your pup doesn’t drink the tree water. It could contain bacteria, insecticides and flame retardants.

Tree needles can be toxic and can puncture a dog’s stomach or intestines. Even needles from artificial trees can be dangerous and cause choking.

Dogs also enjoy swatting at and chewing on tree ornaments.  Broken shards, as well as ornament hooks, can cause serious injuries.

A marshmallow (and other foods) world

Oh yes - Christmas food. One of the best parts of the holidays. It, however, can leave a bad taste in your mouth if your pup gets sick or worse…

Chocolate and any lollies sweetened with xylitol can be toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate are particularly dangerous.

Rich, spicy or fatty holiday foods can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, intestinal damage, and other bad reactions in dogs.

Keep an eye out if your dog is gnawing on a bone. Bones can splinter and lodge in a dog’s intestines.

Make sure to keep your food away from your dog’s reach. Not only do you have to remake the dish, but your dog might suffer from it!

Rocking around the Christmas cords

Chances are that some of your Christmas decorations will involve the use of some form of power. This means extension cords, lights and batteries will be needed.

Chewing on electric cords can cause a variety of harm, including burns, shock, electrocution or even death! Make sure to secure your electric cords by taping them down or covering them.

As a precaution, Christmas lights should be unplugged when you aren’t home. Not only are you keeping your dog safe, but you save on the power bill! Here are a few more tips to keep your pup safe:

  • Punctured batteries can cause nasty chemical burns so make sure there are none left around to entice your pup to get gnawing.
  • Snow globes and other fluid-filled decorations can contain substances that are poisonous to pets.
  • Lastly, if you are going au naturale with your Christmas glow, make sure your candles are placed where your dog cannot get to them. Additionally, fireplaces should have secure front screens.

For a more in-depth Christmas safety checklist please check out Dogtime’s expert suggestions here.

Remember: Christmas can be a dangerous time for dogs. With a little preparation, we can make our homes safe and welcoming for both human and our furry family members.

Also, please be aware of your nearest general and emergency veterinary clinics. Write down their normal and emergency hours and phone numbers. Better to be safe than sorry during the holidays!

Are you interested in decorating your home with safe, dog-friendly ornaments? Are you after the perfect doggy Christmas gift? Please feel free to get in touch.  Pop in store or give us a call: 09 448 2227