How does my dog (or cat) get fleas? And ticks?
Fleas and ticks. They are just a plain nuisance. They cause an itching sensation that can lead to uncontrollable biting, pecking, and scratching.
The way our poor pets usually get fleas is through some other flea-infested animal. It could be a stray dog or stray cat; it could be a neighbourhood dog and cat. It could even be a possum. Regardless, the flea-infested animal has traveled through your neighborhood and fleas will jump from this animal onto your pet. And female fleas are very good at laying eggs that will hatch and continue the cycle of infestation.
Ticks, meanwhile, generally affect dogs because our canine pals are typically out in the environment, walking through the woods or tall grasses. And ticks like to go questing -- meaning they crawl up onto low shrubs or grasses generally 18 to 24 inches off the ground. When a dog walks by and brushes up against these ticks, they leap and get onto our pets. It’s sort of an ambush strategy.
While fleas and ticks may sound like horrific monsters from a sci-fi horror film, getting rid of them doesn’t have to be scary.
Which products can help with the bugs?
- Evance Flea treatment is effective against fleas for a month. (SPECIAL for February 20% OFF!)
- Practic is also effective against fleas and ticks
- Fidos Flea Rinse is gentle but extremely efficient in killing fleas immediately
- Flee Flea the natural treatment that deters fleas. Just sprinkle on their food. It is especially good as a flea deterrent and may act as a general health tonic.
Directions for Flee Flea use
- Cats, kittens, puppies and small/medium dogs: ½ - 1 teaspoon
- Large dogs: 1 dessertspoon
Flee Flea can also be used for guinea pigs, pet rats, rabbits and chickens and other household pets. Flee Flea is made with all natural food ingredients and contains no chemicals. Ingredients in Flee Flea include: Brewer’s Yeast - Garlic - Wheat Germ - Kelp - Dolomite - Ascorbic Acid - Lecithin - Wheat Bran - Sulphur
What can I do at home?
- Bath time! Taking a bath does really does work especially when you use Fidos Flea rinse. Kills all fleas instantly and has a five day residual effect but safe enough to use on birds. Great for using when washing pet bedding.
- Be clean as a dog whistle! Keeping the house clean - all the bedrooms, your kitchen, your pet’s bed - will help to control the population of fleas. Top tip: always dump the bag from the vacuum, since fleas can continue to live inside the container.
Above all, keep your pets healthy and clean. Fleas and other parasites have less effect on healthy and clean animals. They tend to live on pets who are unhealthy and/or have weak immune systems. And, as with healthy humans, healthy animals recover from illness faster.
Do you need some flea and tick help? Please give us a bell in store on 09 448 2227 and we can help you out. Don’t worry; you’re not bugging us.